Leader is the person who leads a group. To lead a group he / she should have some psychological and personal characteristics. These are summarized below:
· Leader should be physical and nervous energic,
· He /she should have a sense of purpose and direction,
· He /she should have enthusiasm,
· He /she should be friendliness and affection,
· He /she should have integrity,
· He /she should have technical mastery,
· He /she should be decisiveness. There may not be enough time to hesitate.
· He /she should have intelligence.
· He /she should have teaching skill and faith.
When we come up to the contemporary business applications, we see that in many companies Total Quality Management (TQM) has been started to be implemented. Therefore the leaders have special roles in TQM processes. TQM operation leaders have six unique characteristics:
· Strategic Planning: Leaders make planning regarding their companies’ mission and vision statements. In this planning process, the inner and outside effects should be taken into consideration. Therefore their planning is performed regarding the customer, government, culture and other environmental effects.
· Quality Vision: The leaders are in contact with the quality vision of the company. Their working style and the decisions are also parallel to the quality vision of the company.
· Customers: Leaders give priority to the customers who are seen as the most important source of the company. Their needs and demands are the main jobs of the leaders.
· Team Work and Empowerment: Leaders support team working activities and they give authority and responsibility to their inner customers. The team works are very much important in order to develop customer satisfactory products and services. The efficiency of these teams mainly depends on the relationships and the efficient contact lines between the departments of the company.
· Continuous improvement: Leaders know that the needs of the customers are rapidly changing. To live in a high competition environment, the product and the service quality should be continuously improved. The leaders are the main trackers of these improvements.
For an organizational success the basic and the super leadership principles are stated below:
Basic leadership principles
· Vision should be stated for the entire organization
· The goals should be defined for the leader and the employees
· Support should be given to the employees to perform well in the organization
· There should be some necessary warnings both for the managers and the employees
· Improvements and personnel empowerment should be maintained.
· Suitable behaviors of the organization should be learned.
Super leadership principles
· Leadership should be learned and taught in the leadership process.
· The employees in the organization should determine their goals themselves.
· The employees should be thinking positive.
· Self-leadership should be developed in the organization
· The failures should be seen as the opportunities for learning and experiencing.
· Self-managing work groups should be supported.
 Ordway Tead, “What is Leadership?”, http://www.nc4h.org/extension/marketing/sunday8.php
 Kadir Ardıç, “Toplam Kalitede Liderlik Adımları ve Liderlik Biçimleri”, http://www.bilgiyonetimi.org/cm/pages/mkl_gos.php?nt=493
 Coşkun Can Aktan, Değişim ve Yeni Global Yönetim, First Ed., İstanbul: MESS, 1997, p. 90.